THE CREST OF THE PEACOCK Throughout my education, I have learned extensively about the impact of colonization, particularly how European powers invaded Africa, explored its diverse territories, and extracted vast natural resources primarily for their economic gain. While these narratives often highlight the introduction of Western education and Christianity as positive contributions, I have learnt from this article the progression of the foundations of mathematics, showing that it did not originate in Europe as commonly believed. In fact, it explains that mathematical concepts can be traced back to ancient civilizations, including those of Mesopotamia, China, Pre-Columbian America, Indian Arabs, Egyptians, and Babylonians. The Greeks, renowned for their contributions to mathematics and science, actually drew significant inspiration from the mathematical advancements of Egypt and Mesopotamia. This realization has deepened my understanding of the rich and diverse intellectual herita...
Popular posts from this blog
Numbers with Personality by Alice Major After reading the article, I came across two sentences that attracted my curiosity. 1)Quote :” The headvariant glyphs were used in very specific situations and never as stand-alone numbers; instead they served to introduce a series of glyphs that spelled out a date in the complex Mayan Long-Count calendar [4]” page 1 Explanation: While reading the article, I was captivated by the title, particularly the word "personality." It resonated with the quote "they don’t stand alone," which led me to reflect on the dynamics of beauty contests. The participants do not exist in isolation, but rather, they stand among their peers, allowi...
Comments
Post a Comment